Wednesday 13 February 2008

EJB 3.0 LazyInitializationException In Unit Tests

I have to say that unit testing in EJB is very challenging. All I want is doing unit tests on a local session bean that someone else created, so here is what I did:
  • Create a remote interface
  • Create a base interface from the current local session bean interface
  • Delete all abstract methods on the local interface and extend the base interface
  • Update the remote interface to extend the base interface
  • Add the methods that I want to unit test in the remote interface
  • Change the methods that I want to test in the implementation to public
  • Edit the implementation class so that it extends both the local and remote interface

Gosh, if that is not time consuming, tell me what is! After all the effort, finally I wrote the actual unit test class, wrote the code to get the remote home that I created earlier using JNDI in the setUp() method, wrote my test, compile the whole project, and then start my JBoss.To my surprise, I got LazyInitializationException, so I thought, all the effort that I did earlier was useless! I tried googling and found some ways to avoid this exception. There are actually 4 ways to do this:

  • Change the session bean to be stateful, and change the persistence context type to EXTENDED. Do I really need to do this just to get the test working?
  • Run the session from within another session bean. Do I really need to create another one just to get the test working?
  • Make fetch type EAGER (obviously). Impossible! There are lots of data, and therefore the laziness
  • Create another method and use Hibernate's JOIN FETCH strategy. This one seems to be the cleanest and the least destructive solution

Honestly, why is it so hard to unit test a Session Bean? If the project had been done in Spring, there are Spring tools that can be utilised and therefore unit testing would have been much easier! See my earlier post to work around this Exception in Spring.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Share |